December 15, 2020
Due to the increasing number of positive cases on COVID-19 in the Commonwealth and in the Town of Canton, all municipal offices will be moving to a “by-appointment only” service model beginning at 8:00 a.m. on December 21, 2020.
This model will remain in effect until such time as the Covid 19 positivity rate reflects a sustained downward trend as it did during the months of June, July and August. All offices shall be staffed as is currently being done.
Prior to December 21, 2020 notices of the service model change and departmental phone numbers will be posted on each building entry door and a notice and phone list will be added to the Town’s web age. Each department should add the notice to their own web page. The Town will also use social media and local newspapers to publicize the service change.
The appointment only service model is intended to limit contacts between visitors and employees; thereby promoting a safer work environment for visitors and employees
Click on the following link for the ONLINE PERMITTING PROGRAM
The Canton Building Department is a public safety office that enforces all applicable codes, laws and regulations to ensure all buildings and structures are constructed and maintained in a safe and usable manner.
The office staff can answer general information questions regarding, among other things:
- General zoning questions
- The permitting process
- Policies and procedures of the Building Department
- Zoning Board of Appeals application process
They also handle inspection requests for all the inspectors in the office.
- Amend Permit Application (PDF)
- Application for Certificate of Inspection (PDF)
- Building Permit Procedure Addition Alteration (PDF)
- Building Permit Procedure Commercial (PDF)
- Building Permit Procedure New Residential (PDF)
- Commercial Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Demolish or Move a Structure Procedure (PDF)
- Demolition Delay Information - Historical Commission (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Application (PDF)
- Gas Permit Application (PDF)
- Home Occupation Application
- Homeowner License Exemption (PDF)
- Plumbing Permit Application (PDF)
- Public Records Request (PDF)
- Requirements of Affidavit Project (PDF)
- Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Sheet Metal Permit Application (PDF)
- Stove Installation Building Code (PDF)
- Workers Compensation Insurance Affidavit (PDF)
- Zoning Fee Schedule (PDF)