Town Hall - by appointment only - effective December 21, 2020
Due to the increasing number of positive cases of COVID-19 in the Commonwealth and in the Town of Canton, all municipal offices will be moving to a “by appointment only” service model beginning at 8:00 a.m. on December 21, 2020.
This model will remain in effect until such time as the COVID-19 positivity rate reflects a sustained downward trend as it did during the months of June, July and August. All offices shall be staffed as is currently being done.
Prior to December 21, 2020 notices of the service model change and departmental phone numbers will be posted on each building entry door and a notice and phone list will be added to the Town’s web page. Each department should add the notice to their own web page. The Town will also use social media and local newspapers to publicize the service change.
The appointment only service model is intended to limit contacts between visitors and employees; thereby promoting a safer work environment for visitors and employees.
2021 Election & Town Meeting Schedule
|Tuesday, April 6, 2021||Annual Town Election||polls open 7 am to 8 pm|
|Monday, May 22, 2021||Annual Town Meeting||begins at 12:30 pm|
Elections and Voting
Attorney General letter (PDF) for articles adopted at 2020 Annual Town Meeting.
Attorney General letter (PDF) for articles adopted at 2020 Special Town Meeting.
Attorney General approval letter (PDF) for articles adopted at the 2019 Annual Town Meeting.
Public Records Officer
- Administers and records all oaths of office
- Maintains General By-Laws
- Posts meetings of all governmental bodies
- Provides access to public records
- Responsible for submission of new by-laws to the Office of the Attorney General for approval
- Certifies notes for borrowing
- Records all-pole locations approved by the Select Board
- Records and certifies all official action of the town, including Town Meeting legislation and appropriations, Planning and Zoning Board decisions
- Records state tax liens and child support enforcement liens
- Provides certified copies of vital records and assists with genealogical research
- Registers all vital events (birth, death, and marriages) occurring within the community and those events occurring elsewhere to Canton residents
Voter Registration & Chief Election Official
- Assists voters interested in running for public office
- Conducts all town, state and federal elections and certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions
- Conducts annual census, annual street lists and assists the Jury Commissioner with the preparation with the Jury List
- Supervises voter registration and absentee balloting
- 2020 Presidential Election Results
- September 1, 2020 State Primary Results
- June 16, 2020 Town Election Results
- March 3, 2020 Presidential Primary Results
- 05-28-2019 Special Election Results (PDF)
- 2019 Recount Results for Board of Selectmen (PDF)
- 2019 Town Election Results (PDF)
- 11-06-2018 State Election Final Results (PDF)
- 2018 Town Election Results (PDF)
- 2017 Town Election Results (PDF)
- 03-01-2016 Presidential Primary Results (PDF)