The Planning Board is comprised of five elected, volunteer town residents of varied backgrounds. They are charged with the following responsibilities:
- Preparation and updating of the Town's Master Plan;
- Review and approval of the construction of new subdivisions;
- Adoption and Review of Town's Subdivision Rules and Regulations;
- Presenting new streets to Town Meeting for Acceptance;
- Review and recommendation of site plans for the Zoning Board of Appeals;
- Proposal of amendments to the Zoning By-laws and reporting on amendments filed by others;
- Overseeing the Town's Scenic Ways;
- Approval of some special permits as permitted under the Zoning By-Laws;
- Appointment of the Canton Center Design Review Board;
- Any other duty as prescribed under the General Laws of the Commonwealth and the By-Laws of the Town of Canton.
The Town Planner is responsible for working towards town-wide goals with regard to zoning, land use, housing, economic development, and other areas specified in the Canton Master Plan.
The Town Planner also works to help procure grants and accomplish other special projects to reach town goals. The Town Planner works with the Planning Board and provides technical review and assistance for projects reviewed by the Planning Board.
Sign up for the Planning Department News Flashes, Calendar, or Agenda alerts via the Town’s Notify Me service. You can receive emails about project updates, public event announcements, upcoming Planning Board agendas, and links to topics of interest related Town planning.
View all public documents related to Planning Board meetings here.
The Master Plan is a guide for the town’s future and as the town changes the document should change with it. There is a Master Plan Steering Committee is shepherding the process of updating the Master Plan (expected to be completed September 2019).
You can click here to visit the 2004 Master Plan page.
You can click here to visit the 2018-2020 Master Plan update page.
Other Plans and StudiesFor a full list of maps, reports, plans and resources, go here.
Planning Board Resources
Any person or organization seeking the consent of the Planning Board under MGL Ch. 40, Sec. 15c regarding road repair, maintenance, reconstruction, paving work, road or driveway cuts that will involve the cutting or removal of trees, or damage to the tree's root system, or the tearing down of stone walls, or portions thereof, shall file a request with the Planning Board.
The following is a list of Scenic Ways within the Town of Canton. If you are planning to remove a tree or stone wall and you reside on 1 of these streets, please request a determination from the Planning Board: Chapman Street, Elm Street, Farm Street, Green Street, Green lodge Street, Hemenway Drive, High Street, Indian Lane, Pleasant Street, Sherman Street (from Washington Street eastward to Pleasant Street), Walpole Street, Washington Street, and York Street.
Canton Center Design Review Board (CCDRB):
The CCDRB was established to review projects that are within the Canton Center Economic Opportunity District, located in downtown Canton. The CCDRB reviews projects to ensure that facade alterations to buildings and new signage for businesses helps to create a cohesive and attractive downtown area. The CCDRB meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 pm in the Armando Building unless otherwise noted.
- Form A - APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL NOT REQUIRED (ANR) PLAN
- Form B - APPROVAL OF A PRELIMINARY SUBDIVISION PLAN
- Form C - APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL OF A DEFINITIVE SUBDIVISION PLAN
- Form D - NOTICE OF SUBMISSION OF SUBDIVISION PLAN
- Form E - CERTIFIED LIST OF ABUTTERS
- Form F - APPROVAL WITH COVENANT CONTRACT
- Form G - CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE OF LOTS
- Form H- RELEASE OF SURETY
- Form I - CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE OF COVENANT
- Form J - CONVEYANCE OF EASEMENTS AND UTILITIES
- Town of Canton Planning Board Designers Certificate
- ANR Site Plan Review Application Checklist draft 0240219
- Preliminary Plan checklist draft 040419
- Definitive Plan checklist draft 040419
- Site Plan Review checklist draft 071219
- Town of Canton Planning Board Form G Lot Release Checklist 071219
- Town of Canton Planning Board Site Plan Review Approval Checklist 071219
- Town of Canton Planning Board Subdivision Approval Checklist 071219
- Canton MA Land Subdivision Rules and Regulations 2019
- Canton MA Special Permit Rules and Regulations 2019
- Canton MA Site Inspection Rules and Regulations 2019
- Scenic Way Bylaw (PDF)
- Scenic Way Rules and Regulations (PDF)
- Zoning Map 2016 Fullsize
- Town of Canton Development Handbook
- Table of Contents 2018 ZBA
- 2018 Table of use chart
- 2018 Zoning By-Laws
- 2016 Street Map
- Canton Planning Board Fees
- CANTON PLANNING BOARD FEE SCHEDULE OCT 2019
- CANTON PLANNING BOARD TECH STDS ls 051319