Trench permits are now online! Trench permit applications may be applied for online in the "Online Permitting" section of the Canton website home page, or in person at the Online Application Terminal at the Building Department Office Counter in the Town Hall.
Procedures for Obtaining a Trench Permit
- The applicant may or may not be the Excavator for the job. The person operating the excavation equipment for the trench work (i.e.: the Excavator) is responsible for the permit. If not already on file in the Engineering Office, the Applicant/Excavator will upload a color copy of the Hoisting License (both sides) issued by the State of Massachusetts. This license information is an essential part of the Trench Permit process. If a copy of the Hoisting License is not uploaded, then the Trench Permit may not be accepted for processing.
- All information pertinent to the trench work is required for the permit. Fill in as much information as possible. No application form will be reviewed without a valid Dig Safe number and start date, issued by Dig Safe by calling 811.
- The signature of the property owner and the Excavator is electronically generated by submitting the permit to the Town. The applicant, by submitting the online application, is representing that he/she has the authority to apply for the Excavator (who will be the competent person on the job) and the owner of the property.
- When the $50 application fee is paid, the Trench Permit may then be accepted for approval.
- Trench Permits expire 60 days after the issue date. If work is not complete then the process for a new permit begins.