Annual Town Meeting
The proposed zoning amendments for the 2022 Canton Annual Town Meeting either are "housekeeping" articles or relate to the zoning recommendations from the Route 138 Economic Development Corridor Study. The housekeeping changes fill in missing information (where previously passed at Town Meeting), clarify existing allowed practices, or remove redundant overlay districts. The zoning recommendations from the Route 138 Economic Development study can be reviewed in the Executive Summary. All proposed zoning articles are consistent with recommendations from Canton's Master Plan (2020) and the Route 138 Corridor Study (2020). Some parking changes were also recommended in the Canton Downtown Parking Strategy study (2019). The current Zoning Bylaws and Map can be viewed here. These zoning recommendations were postponed for two years, due to COVID-19 protocols at Town Meeting in 2020 and 2021 requiring those meetings to be held outdoors as briefly as possible.
Public process and feedback was used throughout the Route 138 Corridor study to inform the analysis, develop a vision, and guide recommendations. During the study, residents, business owners and employees, and Town staff and officials provided their own unique perspectives on the Corridor. The following engagement methods were utilized to solicit input along the way:
Route 138 Vision Statement (from Route 138 Corridor Study 2020)
The Route 138 Corridor in Canton will continue to thrive and grow as a significant contributor to the town’s commercial and industrial tax base, serving as a regional employment hub. Strategic partnerships in transportation, open space, zoning changes, and a variety of development types will ensure that the Corridor offers a safe, vibrant, and appealing environment for all users.
Route 138 Focus Area Guiding Principle (from Canton Master Plan 2020)
Route 138 will be transformed into a revitalized destination with expanded businesses, shopping, entertainment, and residences while increasing safety and access for all modes of transportation.
Drafting Zoning Bylaw Amendments
The Town Planner worked alongside the Planning Board, Master Plan Implementation Committee, and representatives from the Building Department and Zoning Board when drafting the proposed bylaw changes. The proposed bylaw changes were then vetted through Town Counsel with no changes. The Planning Board held public hearings on the proposed zoning articles on February 16th, 2022 starting at 5:30pm and on March 2nd, 2022 at 6:30pm. The Zoning Articles were also be presented at a Finance Committee meeting on March 23rd at 8pm. A further virtual public information session will be scheduled for April 28th from 7-8pm. The first session of the 2022 Annual Town Meeting will be held on May 9th, at 7pm, in the Canton High School auditorium.
2022 Zoning Articles
- Article 32_Canton_ATM2022 Section 6.1 Off Street Parking.pdf
- Article 33_Canton_ATM2022 Section 9.8 Canton Center Economic Opportunity District (CCEOD).pdf
- Article 34_Canton_ATM2022 Section 7.2 Special Regulations for Above or Below Grade Structured Parking.pdf
- Article 35_Canton_ATM2022 Section 9.3 Remove the EOOD.pdf
- Article 36_Canton_ATM2022 Amend Zoning Map of the Town of Canton.pdf
- Article 37_Canton_ATM2022 Section 6.9 General Provisions for Commercial Mixed Use District.pdf
- Article 38_Canton_ATM2022 Section 2.0 Districts.pdf
- Article 39_Canton_ATM2022 Section 4.0 Dimensional Requirements.pdf
- Article 40_Canton_ATM2022 Section 9.4 Removed MUOD.pdf
- Article 41_Canton_ATM2022 Section 3.1.4 Table of Use Regulations.pdf
- Article 42_Canton_ATM2022 Section 11.0 Definitions.pdf