Newly hired benefit eligible employees have 30 days from their full-time start date to decide to enroll in benefits. Also, changes to insurance may occur within 30 days of a qualifying event such as marriage; birth; loss of other coverage; or during open enrollment.
All new benefit-eligible employees are asked to review and complete the documents below. Taking the time to review these materials will help you make the best choices regarding your benefits. Newly hired benefit eligible employees have 30 days from their start date to sign up for benefits. Also, changes to insurances may occur within 30 days of a qualifying event such as marriage, birth, or loss of coverage or during open enrollment.
You may also view an informational Benefits Orientation Video that describes the various benefit plan offerings and options.
Town of Canton & Canton Public Schools
New Employee Checklist
Please review the following:
Click on the links below for more information and to view/print applicable plan summaries, enrollment forms, rates, etc.
✔ Employee Policies
Read all policies and sign the policy acknowledgement page (page 1) indicating that the Town of Canton has provided you with the Town’s policies and state and federal notifications. This acknowledgement form must be returned to Human Resources.
Policies – Social Media; Sexual Harassment; Workplace Bullying & Offensive Conduct; Workplace Conduct; Computer Use; Drug and Alcohol Testing; FMLA; Pregnant Workers Fairness Act; Workers Compensation Injury & LOA; Americans with Disabilities Act; Affirmative Action for Equal Employment Opportunity.
You are eligible for health insurance – please review your options. The Town of Canton contributes 75% of the cost toward the Blue Cross/Blue Shields HMO and PPO plans. Please note that if enrolling, insurance starts on your date of hire and employees must pay for health insurance coverage one month in advance.
- Verify that the providers you wish to see are in the network of the health plan you are considering.
- Review the co-pays and premium rates to better understand the cost of the insurance plans and which option best fits your needs.
- Fill out the pertinent sections of the enrollment form (Section 2 and Sections 3 & 4, if applicable).
- Return the form to HR including, if applicable, the necessary information to enroll you and your spouse/dependents, including Social Security numbers, marriage certificate, birth certificate(s) and name(s) of primary care providers (for HMO plan).
The Town of Canton offers two dental plans through Delta Dental: a basic or “low option” that offers basic services and coverage and an enhanced or “high option” that allows for upgraded coverage and services. Please note that if enrolling, insurance starts on your date of hire and employees must pay for dental insurance coverage one month in advance.
- Review the differences between the basic and high dental plan options.
- Compare costs between dental plans.
- Fill out the enrollment form and return to Human Resources.
- If applicable, include the necessary information to enroll you and your spouse/dependents, including dates of birth, marriage certificate, birth certificate(s).
The Town of Canton offers its employees and retirees $5,000 of basic term life / accidental death and dismemberment coverage through Boston Mutual. Employees may also purchase optional term life insurance; spousal life insurance; and life insurance can be purchased for dependent children.
Please note that due to life insurance company policy, enrollees must provide the signed, original paper enrollment form.
✔ Declining Health/Dental/Basic Insurance
If you will not be enrolling in health, dental and/or basic life insurance through the Town of Canton, you must fill out the Declination of Insurance Form (indicating the benefit(s) you will not be enrolling) and return to Human Resources.
The Town of Canton offers Flexible Spending Accounts through Sentinel Benefits which allows employees to withhold pre-taxed dollars from their paycheck to pay for health-related expenses and dependent care expenses. The annual contribution limits are $5,000 for dependent care spending account and $2,750 for health care spending account.
- Review the FlexChoice Reimbursement Account Overview to decide if flexible spending account(s) are the right choice for you.
- If you choose to enroll in health and/or dependent care FSA, fill out the enrollment form and return to Human Resources.
The Town of Canton offers additional benefits such as 457b and 403b retirement programs, permanent life insurance, long and short-term disability and cancer insurance. Review the information to see if you may want to enroll in any additional benefits.
- You do not need to complete any forms to return to Human Resources – the enrollment process is direct through the employee and the corresponding vendor (i.e. SmartPlan, LifePlus).
WHAT TO RETURN TO HUMAN RESOURCES:
✔ Town of Canton/Canton Public Schools Policies Acknowledgement Form
✔ Insurance declination form if declining health, dental and/or life insurance
✔ Health insurance enrollment form, if enrolling
✔ Dental insurance enrollment form, if enrolling
✔ If enrolling in health and/or dental insurance, provide proof of relationship for members expected to be part of a family plan (i.e. marriage certificate and/or birth certificate(s))
✔ Life insurance enrollment form, if enrolling
- Please note that due to life insurance company policy, we must have the signed, original paper enrollment form.
✔ Flexible Spending Account enrollment form, if enrolling
You may scan and email to Human Resources; mail the forms to Human Resources at 801 Washington Street, Canton, MA 02021; fax to 781-575-6602; send through interoffice mail; or drop off at Town Hall.