Resources and Referrals

The Department of Elder and Human Services is the only public human service agency in Town and as a result, provides resources and referrals to town residents of all ages.

  • Referrals to services related to mental health, housing, finances, basic needs, etc.
  • Providing information on area resources and services for Older Adults, individuals with disabilities, children and families, low-income individuals, and those with a variety of other specialized needs
  • We assist residents  in completing applications  for services such as: food stamps, fuel assistance, Mass Health, to name a few, and also refer  to appropriate agencies to assist with issues like Mass Health, Social security disability, Department of Mental Health, Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission for example
  • If you are in need of food shopping assistance, prescription delivery, food pantry delivery, masks, a friendly call or just someone to talk to during the Pandemic please reach out
  • We lend a sympathetic ear, we care, and will do our best to assist you and or refer you to an agency that can.

MASS211.ORG Mass 211 is an easy-to-use telephone number that connects callers to information about critical health and human services available in their community. It serves as a resource for finding government benefits and services, nonprofit organizations, support groups, volunteer opportunities, donation programs, and other local resources. Always a confidential call, Mass 211 maintains the integrity of the 9-1-1 system saving that vital community resource for life and death emergencies.

Elder Abuse Hotline (800) 922-2275 or 

Report Child Abuse or Neglect 800-792-5200 and

Report Abuse on adults with disabilities  DPPC hotline: 800-426-9009,


BUOYHEALTH.COM – Symptom Check- The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has partnered with Buoy Health to help residents figure out if they need to seek testing for COVID-10. Screen your symptoms online

Mass Health provides health benefits and helps pay for them to qualifying children, families, seniors, and people with disabilities living in Massachusetts. They may offer benefits directly or help pay for all or part of your health insurance premiums. In response to COVID-19, all Mass Health Enrollment sites are closed for walk-in visitors until further notice. To apply or for eligibility information, contact the Customer Service Center at (800) 841-2900 or visit

Health Insurance Information -  The Health Connector recently announced an extended enrollment period through May 25, 2020 for uninsured Massachusetts residents due to the COVID-19 outbreak. If you recently lost coverage through your job, you can apply to find affordable, high-quality health insurance. The Health Connector website is :

Health Insurance for 60 years and older can contact the SHINE Department at HESSCO: 781-784-4944 and 

Shorter PDF flyers for individuals that have recently lost jobs and job-based health coverage are available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Chinese and are posted here:

Renters and Homeowners Information

RENTERS & HOMEOWNER INFORMATION & ASSISTANCE -Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) The Department of Housing & Community Development has made a new $5 million fund available under the RAFT program. The RAFT program helps keep eligible households who may face eviction, foreclosure, loss of utilities, and other housing emergencies as a result of COVID-19. RAFT funding is distributed by Regional Administering Agencies. RAFT funding assists households of all sizes and configurations with financial assistance up to $4,000 per household to help preserve current housing or move to new housing. For more information visit:

Suspension of Evictions at Housing Authorities All state-aided public housing operators (including Local Housing Authorities) have been directed to suspend pending essential evictions and the filing of any new non-essential evictions.

Tenants should be aware of their rights and remedies available to them as a tenant in Massachusetts. Visit or contact the MA Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulations at 617-973-8787.

Utilities-The Department of Public Utilities has suspended the disconnection of utility services for non-payment during this state of emergency. Eversource is eliminating late-payment charges and offering other flexible payment plans. Visit or speak with a customer service representative at 800-583-2000.

Columbia Gas is offering their customers who indicate an impact or hardship as a result of COVID-19 flexible payment plans and will suspend late payment charges until May 1. Visit or speak with a customer service representative at 800-688-6160.

UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE -Have you lost your job? You may qualify for temporary income to support you while you look for a new one from the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA). Due to the volume, DUA is experiencing at this time, the fastest way to process a claim is online, which remains fully operational. You should apply for unemployment benefits during your first week of total or partial unemployment. Most claims are processed within 21-28 days after filing. It may take longer if there is an issue with your claim. - (617) 626-6800

Mental Health Resources:

The Disaster Distress Helpline, 1-800-985-5990, is a 24/7, 365-day-a-year, national hotline dedicated to providing immediate crisis counseling for people who are experiencing emotional distress related to any natural or human-caused disaster. This toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to all residents in the United States and its territories. Stress, anxiety, and other depression-like symptoms are common reactions after a disaster. Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746 to connect with a trained crisis counselor

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline- The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals. Call 800-273-8255.

DOVE Inc. – DOmestic Violence Ended
      24-hour Hotline:
617-471-1234 or 888-314-3683
      Community Advocacy & Prevention Services: 617-770-4065

Other available resources:

FUEL ASSISTANCE-Self Help, Inc. is a nonprofit Community Action Agency (CAA) created to help low-income families and individuals stabilize and secure their lives. Self Help, Inc. (SHI) 1362 Main Street Brockton, MA 800-255-0875

SNAP provides nutrition benefits to supplement the food budget of needy families so they can purchase healthy food and move towards self-sufficiency (877)382-2363

Canton Food Pantry 781-821-8062 or email

There are several other local resources available. Please call COA 781 828-1323 for more information on what may be available to you.